Life is busier than ever for small business owners. Criminals hope you are too busy to check what they are saying so you will hand over your personal or financial information.
While the ATO is supporting you through the COVID-19 (coronavirus) environment, criminals are trying to steal your money or identity while you’re most vulnerable.
Look out for these tell-tale signs of false tax schemes if you get a suspicious call, message or request.
The ATO will never:
- send an email or SMS with a hyperlink to our online services such as myGov.
- request personal identifying information via a return email unless you’ve agreed to engage with us this way.
- threaten you with immediate arrest and insist you stay on the line until you make a payment.
- prevent you from discussing your tax affairs with your registered tax professional.
- request payment of a debt via iTunes, Google Play cards or other vouchers, cryptocurrency, cardless cash transfer, offshore wire transfer or into a bank account not held by the Reserve Bank of Australia.
- ask you to pay a fee to receive a refund.
Reproduced with the permission of the Australian Tax Office. This article was originally published on https://www.ato.gov.au/Newsroom/smallbusiness/General/Tell-tale-signs-of-a-tax-scam/
Important: This provides general information and hasn’t taken your circumstances into account. It’s important to consider your particular circumstances before deciding what’s right for you. Although the information is from sources considered reliable, we do not guarantee that it is accurate or complete. You should not rely upon it and should seek qualified advice before making any investment decision. Except where liability under any statute cannot be excluded, we do not accept any liability (whether under contract, tort or otherwise) for any resulting loss or damage of the reader or any other person. Any information provided by the author detailed above is separate and external to our business and our Licensee. Neither our business nor our Licensee takes any responsibility for any action or any service provided by the author. Any links have been provided with permission for information purposes only and will take you to external websites, which are not connected to our company in any way. Note: Our company does not endorse and is not responsible for the accuracy of the contents/information contained within the linked site(s) accessible from this page.